Nick van der Leek Photo of applicant→
084 411 44 91
· Interesting fact #1: Two commissioned articles are due for publication in GQ magazine (September issue)
· Interesting fact #2: Received a ‘highly commended’ award for architectural photography in the 2011 Freshford House Museum Photography competition and first prize in 2007 for a citizen journalism photography competition www.reporter.co.za
· Interesting fact #3: My brother Casey van der Leek is professional, fulltime artist while my aunt, Joan Schrauwen is a published author, artist in water colors and a sculptor. My great grandfather Tinus de Jongh is a well known South African landscape artist.
· Interesting fact #4: Won prize money for a writing competition in South Korea for a 2002 FIFA World Cup story titled: THE WORLD AT PLAY.
Current Experience and Capacity
1) Currently working on a freelance basis, with regular work appearing in Country Life, Car and AboutTime. Recent commissions include work for Blue Train magazine and GQ.
2) Clients in 2011/2012 include Harmony Gold Mine, the Free State Provincial Government (Premiere’s office), Mercedes Benz, SKA (Square Kilometre Array), The Blue Train, Specialized etc.
3) Interviews with Morgan Freeman, Gavin Hood (director of Wolverine), Professor Tim Noakes, and numerous world class sportsmen and women, leaders in business etc.
4) My blog, www.nickvanderleek.com has been rated one of the top 20 News & Politics blogs in South Africa (although not necessarily a News or Politics blog). Currently the site averages over 600 page impressions a day, and totaling more than 910 000 page impressions.
5) I personally have over 13 700 followers on Twitter (@shoot_hirezlife, and almost 1500 on Facebook.
6) Press Tour April 2008 – Visit to Seoul at the invitation of the Seoul Metropolitan Government. Article published in Financial Mail.
7) Published first freelance writing in Heartland magazine (Summer 2006) followed by 5 articles in winter issue (2006).
A) More than 2 years working for AVUSA media as a communications specialist across multiple platforms (Sowetan, Sunday World, Times). Editing, content management and statistical analysis were implicit in the role, along with a certain amount of content creation (writing, photography, slideshows, photo editing). – June 2007 – September 2009
B) June 2007: Photo Exhibition in Bloemfontein
C) Worked for 6 months at Brebner High School teaching Economics and Business Management to grade 10 and 11’s, then worked a further 6 months as Data Team Lead for a pharmaceutical firm (Quintiles, Bloemfontein branch) May 2006 – May 2007
D) 4 Years teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) at Kang’s Language School in Ilsan South Korea (January 2002 – November 2005)
E) Manager at Mr Delivery Gardens, Cape Town branch (several months in 2001)
· B.Economics degree but also a B.Sc (3 years) and Law (1 Year)
· English (up to 3rd year level)
· Integrated Marketing Communication Diploma (Postgraduate) from AAA School of Advertising (Cape Town), specializing in Brand Management.
· Excellent English acumen (contact Dr. Susan Brokensha at the Free State University for a reference: 0829241282, or Dr Ruth Ulyatt 0834514270)
· Proficient on all software packages, particularly PowerPoint (have made several presentations at CEO level to date), MSWord, Excel etc.
1) 2000/2001 Earned Degree in Economics, postgraduate diploma in Integrated Marketing Communications at AAA Advertising School (67% average, and top 10 student) and completed an Internship at The Jupiter Drawing Room Cape Town.
2) 1991-2000 Studies at the UFS including B-Iuris and a B.Sc in Quantity Surveying. Also traveled for 2 years to the United Kingdom where I worked for asset management companies like Hargreaves Lansdowne, and in insurance (AXXA Sunlife).
3) 1990 South African Air Force: Mobile Communications Unit – taught radio and digital communications, licensed to drive several military vehicles and also put on a typing course.
4) Matriculated at Grey College Secondary School with Full University Exemption.
5) Free State Provincial Colors in swimming, biathlon, triathlon and soccer.
1) Dr. Susan Brokensha, Department of English, tel: 082 924 1282
2) Ms. Jenny Lake, Editor at the UFS, tel: 083 265 2654 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) Ms. Louise McAuliffe at AVUSA; supervisor 083 444 2500