The Peterson video works not only because it's shockingly candid but very humorous. Most highly viewed videos on YouTube are funny, shocking in some way, or both.
Here are my tips for making corporate video content that people want to watch:
- Keep it short. A video more than two minutes is usually too long.
- Keep it funny.
- Make sure the pace is brisk. The modern attention span needs MTV-style editing.
- Unless there is a reason not to, use some music.
- Most videos need a little advertising money to get some traction -- $500 per day on Facebook or YouTube ads is a good floor.
- The great ones – like the Dale Peterson video – are purely organic, but it's hard to bottle that kind of lighting.