• England is strengthening the Thames River flood control barrier at a cost of around half a billion dollars.
• The Netherlands is making its crucial flood control system stronger.
• California is redesigning the gates that move water around the agriculturally vital Sacramento River Delta so that they can work when the sea level rises dramatically there.
• Boston elevated a sewage treatment plant to keep it from being flooded when sea level rises. New York City is looking at similar maneuvers for water plants.
• Chicago has a program to promote rooftop vegetation and reflective roofs that absorb less heat. That could keep the temperature down and ease heat waves.
SHOOT: Adapt or die.