SOUTH Africa’s second confirmed case of swine flu was reported by the department of health yesterday.
Second swine flu case found in SA First case of swine flu in South Africa
The man, a 29-year-old expatriate now based in France, flew into Johannesburg’s OR Tambo International airport on Monday.
The country’s first case was reported on Sunday last week — that of a 12-year-old boy who arrived in South Africa from the US. He was treated at a private hospital in Johannesburg and is recovering at home.
Commenting on the latest case, health department spokesman Fidel Hadebe said: “He came to visit family and came into contact with other passengers on the flight. However, he only started to show symptoms on Wednesday.”
Hadebe said the man was treated at a private hospital in Gauteng. Tests confirmed him positive for H1N1 influenza.
“He was not given any antivirals as he did not present any danger and is doing well. His parents, however, have been put on antivirals.”
Hadebe said the passengers who travelled with the man had yet to be traced. “We will contact passengers who came within a 2km radius of the man,” he said, adding that there was no need for people to panic.
SHOOT: I'm sure, since there's no need to panic (is that code in South Africa for 'no need to worry') they'll take their time locating the passengers. No need to panic. No need to panic. Right. 2010 Soccer World Cup hangs in the balance...but don't say it, don't even think it...